Need a little more challenge in your Call of Duty Campaign mode? Activision and Infinity Ward wants you to prove it with the new YOLO difficulty… Really guys, we’re bringing that back?
In a blog post yesterday, Activision announced a new difficulty which will turn the game on its head, getting rid of the infamous health regeneration, and adding head-shot protection, health kits and a major difficulty tweak. This Specialist mode is unlocked after you beat the campaign on any difficulty.
Activision detailed some of the finer points of the “Intensely Realistic” Specialist mode:
- You can only heal with Nano Shots, there is no health regeneration in this mode.
- Helmets are your only protection from headshots. They will take permanent damage and will need to be replaced.
- Both Nano Shots and helmets take up equipment slots, so remember to equip them in your loadout on the Retribution before each level.
- Master the lean from behind cover mechanic, which will be critical for your survival. Approach the edge of cover while standing or crouching, and aim down sights when you see a chevron appear on the side of your crosshairs. You will auto-pop from behind cover as you ADS.
- If you get shot in the legs, it will impact your movement. If you get shot in either arm, it will impact your ability to use equipment or aim down sights. Note: Your weapon can be shot out of your hands.
Beating the Specialist mode unlocks YOLO Mode, standing of course for You Only Live Once, which brings permadeath to the game. Players dying in the campaign will need to start the entire campaign back at square one.
This type of mode isn’t new, we’ve seen this with ID’s DOOM earlier this year, where the game unlocked Ultra Nightmare mode, a mode that while the developers failed to beat, one player ended up clearing within 2 days of the game’s release.
We’ll see how long it’ll take when Call of Duty Infinite Warfare launches on November 4th for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Any bets?