Activision and Treyarch released the first gameplay footage for the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, highlighting some multiplayer and single-player game play in the video. Given the success of the previous game (Advanced Warfare) fans are enjoying the movement and vertical freedom in multiplayer thanks to the new Exo-Skeleton, so what does Black Ops 3 bring to the table?
The first thing to note is the Campaign, for the first time in a Call of Duty game, the campaign mode will be playable in Co-Op, supporting up to four players in online co-op or local co-op for two players via split-screen, and for the first time players can choose to play as a male or female protagonist.
Set 2065, the world is altered thanks to the events of Black Ops 2’s Drone attacks, and thanks to climate change, the world is constantly at war, relying on cyber-enhanced soldiers and robots to fight them. Players will get access to various cyber-enhancements which can be level up as the story progresses, players will also get to choose how to proceed with the missions with more open maps.
Multiplayer will also be seeing some changes, thanks to new movement and Specialists. The game will feature a wall-running feature, similar to that found in Titanfall, along with a thrust jump, powerslide, and the ability to swim is now available, making the multiplayer extremely open and fast paced.
Black Ops 3’s multiplayer will also be different as the game will move to class based multiplayer, allowing players to choose between 9 “Specialists.” The Specialists are given special powers to help change the tide of the battlefield, in which players can choose whether to take the special ability or the specialists specific weapon.
Currently only 4 specialists have been announced.
- Ruin — A fearless infantry soldier with a “gravity spikes” weapon that creates an area of effect attack, and the “Overdrive” ability, which gives him a burst of speed.
- Seraph — A member of a crime syndicate with the “Annihilator” weapon, a high-caliber revolver, and the Combat Focus ability, which triggers a bonus multiplier towards Scorestreaks.
- Outrider — She has a compound bow called “Sparrow” and a “Vision Pulse” ability that pings the surrounding area and tags the location of all enemies.
- Reaper — An experimental War Robot with a “Scythe,” an arm that transforms into a mini-gun, and the “Glitch” ability, which allows it to flashback to a previous position.
Zombies will also be making a comeback in Black Ops 3, and Treyarch says that it will be “totally different setting.”
“One of the reasons [Zombies] has been so popular is that it’s really accessible,” studio head Mark Lamia said, “but one thing we wanted to do was bring more replayability and depth to it.”
The new Zombies mode will be seperate from the multiplayer and campaign modes, but promises a new XP progression system. Not much more was said at this time, but it does have a tagline of “Only the Cursed survive.”
The last bit of news comes from the Gunsmith, a new system that will allow you to personalize your guns, allowing players to outfit their favourite guns with their choice of optics, up to five attachments, custom paintjobs and camo skins. Players can swap in and out their choice of barrel, clip, stock and suppressor, customizing each weapon to their personal aesthetic taste.
On top of this, players can build their own paintjob for their guns in a similar fashion to the Emblems in Black Ops 2, with Treyarch promising precision editing controls and up to 64 layers per side.
Black Ops 3 is set to release on November 6th 2015 (which we knew thanks to a Gamestop leak, and will be available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Treyarch has already listed the PC Minimum requirements as the following.
- Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
- Processor: Intel® CoreTM i3-530 @ 2.93 GHz / AMD PhenomTM II X4 810 @ 2.60 GHz
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 470 @ 1GB / ATI® RadeonTM HD 6970 @ 1GB
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Treyarch does plan to have a Closed Beta for those who pre-order the game, and it will be available at E3.