As much as I loved Battleborn, the numbers were just not there to keep the game alive, making matchmaking an extremely slow process. However that might slightly change now that Gearbox has released the game with an Opened Free Trial, which will allow players to download the game and play the game without a time limit or level caps.
For those playing the free trial, you’ll have access to 6 of the 30 heroes at a time, with the characters rotating on a weekly basis similar to many free-to-play MOBAs. Using in game credit or through platinum currency, players will be able to unlock more characters, Story Operations, cosmetics and more.
Essentially, the game has gone Free-To-Play, but you can still purchase the full game either digitally or at your favourite retail store to gain all the characters and story missions faster.
Now if you played Battleborn before this update, you’ll be known as a Founder and get some sweet Battleborn Perks including:
- 1,000 Platinum
- 50,000 Credits
- Exclusive “Founder” player title
- Gold skins for Mellka and Deande
- 5 Core Loot Packs
- 1 of each Command Faction Pack (5 total)
- 1 Exclusive “Founder Loot Pack” that includes…
- 1 guaranteed piece of legendary gear
- 1 guaranteed piece of legendary boss gear
- 2 guaranteed pieces of common (or better) gear
- Guaranteed exclusive legendary “Shard of Solus” gear item (a 0 activation cost LLC Shard Generator)
- 4 guaranteed Flair items including exclusive “Founder’s Crown” Flair item
Here is hoping that this move brings more people to Gearbox’s awesome Hero-shooter/MOBA hybrid. The Free Trial is now available on PS4, Xbox One and PC.